Burnside Primary School and Nursery
Our PE specialist is Miss Smith. At Burnside, we believe that physical activity not only improves health, reduces stress and improves concentration, but also promotes correct physical growth and development.
Exercise has a positive influence on academic achievement, emotional stability and interaction with others. Through sport and other physical activities our children will learn about their responsibilities both as individuals and members of groups and teams. They learn to cooperate and to compete fairly, understanding their own and other’s roles. Our aim is that; through physical education we teach and develop physical competence, an appreciation of skilled and creative performances, understanding of basic principles of ‘fair play’ and improve inter personal skills.
Burnside primary school will achieve the above through;
● Following a broad and balanced PE curriculum fulfilling the requirements of the National Curriculum.
● Ensure every child moving on to secondary school can swim 25m and has basic water skills.
● Developing the fitness of the individual, by ensuring a good pace in lessons and incorporating fitness activities into physical education lessons as appropriate.
● Integrating, where possible, into other curriculum areas. Eg, use of athletics data in maths & ICT.
● Developing programmes that meet the needs of all the children, providing equal opportunities.
● Making allowances for children with disabilities and medical conditions, taking into account children with special needs, through modified classroom programmes. ● Involving the community where possible - e.g. Sports Day, intra/ inter-school matches, outside coaching personnel and resources.
Provide enjoyable experiences, where positive attitudes of sensitivity, leadership, co-operation, competition and tolerance may develop. In addition to the school curriculum our students compete in a range of County competitions and sports festivals taking place at regular intervals during the appropriate season.